Hyde Park Bank Building, 1525 E. 53rd Street, Suite 832, Chicago, Illinois 60615

Facebook Twitter Linkedin Instagram


Hyde Park Car Accident Attorney for Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Cases

Calumet Heights uninsured driver injury lawyer

Lawyer For Injury Victims of Accidents With Uninsured Drivers on the South Side of Chicago

In Illinois, drivers are required by law to purchase liability insurance for any registered vehicles, but recent statistics show that almost 14 percent of drivers in the state are uninsured. An even greater number have only the minimum liability coverage required by law, which may not cover all expenses if the driver causes an accident resulting in injuries to other people. If you have been injured by an uninsured or underinsured motorist, you need to understand your options for obtaining full compensation beyond what the at-fault driver can provide.

At Kadzai Law Group, LLC, we are committed to helping injury victims get the relief they need, whether through a personal injury lawsuit or an alternative method like an uninsured or underinsured motorist claim. Attorney David Kadzai has over 10 years of legal experience, including as an arbitrator in uninsured motorist cases, and he can work with you to build a strong case for the compensation you deserve.

Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Insurance in Illinois

If you have been injured in a car accident with an uninsured or underinsured driver, in many cases your best option for compensation is to file a claim with your own car insurance provider. If you have the legally required liability insurance coverage, you most likely have uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage as well, as this is required under Illinois law. The purpose of this coverage is to provide for damages related to your bodily injury or death when the other driver is unable to pay.

You can file an uninsured or underinsured motorist claim under any of the following circumstances:

  • You or your passengers are injured in a crash with another driver who lacks the legally required liability insurance coverage.
  • You or your passengers are injured in a hit-and-run accident, and the at-fault driver cannot be identified.
  • You are injured as a passenger in a single-vehicle accident, and the driver lacks insurance.
  • You or your passengers are injured in an accident with another driver whose liability coverage is insufficient to pay for your damages.

In Illinois, the minimum liability coverage limit is $25,000 for one injured person and $50,000 for multiple injured people. If your injuries are severe and your medical bills are high, or if you are one of several people injured due to the negligence of the same driver, that driver's coverage may not be able to adequately compensate for all of the damages owed.

Third-Party Claims in Uninsured Motorist Cases

In some situations, you may be able to pursue compensation through a personal injury lawsuit against a third party when the at-fault driver is uninsured or underinsured. For example, in Illinois, if a business sells or serves alcohol that contributes to the intoxication of the at-fault driver at the time of the accident, that business can be considered partially liable. The manufacturer of a defective vehicle or defective parts can also be found at fault for a car accident that happens as a result of the defect. We will help you investigate your case to identify all potentially liable parties.

Contact a Cook County Car Accident Attorney

Any time you are injured in a car accident, it is in your best interest to reach out to an attorney as soon as possible. We can help you start building a case for compensation and determine whether the at-fault driver has insurance. If not, we will work with you to file a claim through your own insurance provider. As an arbitrator for the American Arbitration Association, David Kadzai has seen both sides of uninsured and underinsured motorist claims, and he understands the procedural requirements and evidence necessary for a successful claim. He can also advise you as to the value of your claim to ensure that your insurance company is treating you fairly.

For a free consultation, contact us today at 312-229-0050. We serve clients throughout the South Side of Chicago and Cook County, including in Hyde Park, Calumet City, Evergreen Park, Oak Lawn, Riverdale, and the surrounding areas.

Chicago Bar Association Cook County Bar Association Federal Bar Association Illinois State Bar Association American Bar Association University of Illinois Alumni Alliance
Back to Top